Last updated July 25, 2016
Information BNED Collects About You
Information You Provide to Us
BNED may collect information, including personal information, directly from you when you visit the Sites. For example, we collect information from you when you create a user account; make purchases; subscribe to receive emails or notifications; or otherwise communicate with us through the Sites. “Personal Information” is information that identifies you specifically, and the types of Personal Information we collect may include your name, billing address, zip code, email address, phone number, and payment card number.
Information Collected Automatically
Certain information about you may be collected automatically when you access or use the Sites. This information may include IP address, browser and device type, operating system characteristics, information about your use of the Sites, and data regarding network-connected hardware (such as unique device identifiers, type, model, version, MAC address, device or session ID, functionality, performance data, and connection type). This information also may include clickstream data, which illustrates the page-by-page path(s) you take as you browse the Sites.
Cookies and Tracking GIFs.
We may use “cookies” to collect information about you when you visit the Sites. Cookies are small text files placed on visitors’ computers/devices to store information about their activities on the Sites, such as their user preferences. In addition to cookies, tracking GIFs may be set by us or third parties to collect information about your use of the Sites. Tracking GIFs are small image files embedded within the content of the Sites to monitor which parts of the Sites are visited and whether particular content is of interest.
Most web browsers are set to automatically accept cookies, but many provide options to allow you to stop accepting new cookies or to disable existing cookies. Please be aware that if you disable the cookies on your computer you may not be able to use certain features of the Sites, and disabling cookies may invalidate opt outs that rely on cookies to function. You can learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org.
It is possible that third parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use the Sites. Note that your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites and online services you visit. Like many websites, the Sites currently are not designed to respond to “Do Not Track” signals from visitors’ browsers. To learn more about “Do Not Track” you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
BNED’s Use of Your Personal Information
We may use information we obtain about you for various purposes, including to:
- administer your account and respond to your requests, including product requests;
- customize content supplied to you;
- contact you regarding your use of the Sites or, in our discretion, changes to our policies;
- prevent, investigate, and deal with fraud, violations of intellectual property rights, and other laws, as well as unauthorized use of the Sites or of your account;
- comply with legal requirements, industry standards, and our policies;
- maintain and improve the Sites and to develop new content and products;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities of visitors to the Sites; or
- as otherwise reasonable and appropriate to the legitimate business needs of BNED related to the Sites.
How We May Share Your Information
Certain of our affiliates (such as parent companies, subsidiaries, or other companies within our corporate family), agents, vendors, consultants, and other service providers may have access to your Personal Information to carry out work on our behalf or to provide services to you. These third-party service providers and agents are prohibited from using your Personal Information for any purpose other than to provide this assistance.
We also may share information about you for the following purposes:
- Disclosures as required by law or to prevent harm. We may disclose IP addresses, mobile device identifiers, or any other information we collect to identify users, in our discretion and without notice to you, for purposes of cooperating with copyright owners, Internet service providers, wireless service providers, or law enforcement agencies.
- In the event of corporate sale or merger.BNED may share information with third parties (such as purchasers, potential purchasers and their advisers) if BNED or a portion of its assets is sold or offered for sale. We reserve the right to transfer any information we obtain about you through the Sites in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, reorganization, or liquidation).
- Data Analytics. BNED uses third-party web analytics services on the Sites, such as Google Analytics. These analytics services may collect information about your activities on the Sites to help us analyze how visitors use the Sites. To learn more about opting out of data collection through Google Analytics, click here.
Some of the Sites may, from time to time, feature chat rooms, message boards, news groups and/or other public forums available to users. Any information that is disclosed in these areas may be visible to the public. You should exercise caution accordingly, and avoid disclosing Personal Information or other details that you do not want made public.
The Sites are not intended for children, and are not targeted to children under the age of thirteen (13). We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 and if we learn that we have received information from a user under the age of 13, we will delete this information in accordance with applicable law.
BNED takes information security seriously and has taken reasonable measures to protect the Personal Information it collects by establishing appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect and prevent unauthorized access or other unintended disclosures.
Please be aware that submitting information over the Internet is inherently insecure and, accordingly, despite its reasonable efforts, BNED cannot guarantee that unauthorized access or disclosure will never occur.
Information for Users Outside the United States
Links to Other Websites
The Sites may contain hyperlinks to other websites for your convenience and information. Those websites may be operated by entities not affiliated with BNED, and may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review. BNED is not responsible for the content or use of any linked websites that are not affiliated with BNED.